Tuesday, September 9, 2014

"If I Don't, Then Who Will?"



I remember when I was a kid, I would go visit my Grandmother who lived next door. Usually, I would end up following her around the house. I would hand her things, pick up stuff, and help her vacuum. She would take a seat for a few minutes. Take a puff off of her cigarette, watch a little QVC, and say to me as she twisted the cigarette butt in the ashtray, "Well, back to work." I remember asking her one time why she did housework every single day. Her response was simply, "If I don't, who will?" And, with a raspy laugh, she would go back to cleaning.

I still remember that vividly, even now, ten long years after her passing. The other day, I was getting things ready for the Event we have coming up here on Sunday, and her voice, as plain as day, hit me. I had been thinking about how much work is going into this and how, right now, Ulv Hamre is the one putting in the work. Our families and friends have also been helping with input and being supportive. Essentially, we're the work horses right now. I asked myself why this was, though...and then I heard my Grandmother say, "If I don't, who will?" It's funny how memories like that pop in your head at the right moment.

Throughout the day, I had remembered her saying that. I had just sat down from working on my office that I had planned to fix up for months. As I sat there, I let my mind wander a bit to try to make sense of things, as I often do when my thoughts get cluttered. I began to think that the biggest problem with modern Heathen culture is that many people don't take enough action. Instead of going out and doing things, often times, times, folk will sit behind a computer or their phones and talk about it. I've mentioned this before to the members of UH in casual conversation, but I never actually sat down and thought about it in detail.

The problem seems to be stemming from a mixture of lack of motivation, laziness, and no structure. These things are easily fixed. It's just a matter of doing it. I find it interesting that when you sign on to any Facebook group and many forums and sites, you'll see folks talking about being proud Heathens and calling each other "brother" and "sister", when they may not even have a relationship or connection to these people, outside of the group/forum. They respond to opposing ideas with talking about how they'll have that person's head on the end of their sword. There may be a meme or something made. Often times (not all, of course), these folks are content with just spending their time being social on the internet, and never try for anything else.

This is the root of the problem primarily. When I first found Heathenry, it was a shock. I had found a name for what I was already. I grew up this way. Once I found it, I was active in looking for those who I could bond with on a personal level and create something more with. I wanted a group that could be my extended family. Not because we're in the same Facebook group or forum, but because we share a connection and a goal. Over the years I've found people I clicked with automatically, some folks I tried and couldn't, and others it seemed impossible to deal with.  What I had found is that I got along with those who were more active. Internet Heathens, not because they had no one around, but because they just didn't want anything more, are the ones that I had more difficulties with.

The bottom line is, many people just talk. The reason things don't get done, is because people think words are enough. What this equates to is looking to win the lotto and telling everyone you're going to win, but you haven't even bought a ticket, and despite what you've told everyone, you probably don't have any intention of buying one. People talk to gain attention and popularity. People often say things just to fit in or look good with a certain crowd. This is why we haven't grown here specifically.All this talk and no action to back it up. When there is action sometimes, there's no planning, no working, no cooperation. Structure is lacking, and soon after it begins, it's over.

We have to look to the future and think about what we can do to become active and how we can continue to build a Heathen presence. People will come and go, Kindreds will fall, and at the end of it, it will be those work horses that will be the ones still standing. After all, if we don't build and maintain this, then who will?


No comments:

Post a Comment